Monday, July 26, 2010

Why is your hair so short?

So today I met someone who was truly mystified by my natural hair. She wasn't quite sure if I had locs or what. Lol. At the moment I have a mohawk (a temporary one :)). Needless to say I get a lot of stares. You see, here in Nigeria, natural hair is still a new thing. Anyways, her and her husband asked me all sorts of questions about my hair. I wasn't bothered by it at all. In fact, I LOVE talking about my hair. Anyways, one of her questions was why my hair is the length it is given that I've been natural for so many years. I had to explain that it's longer than it looks, which I demonstrated by pulling it and then I proceeded to explain that I have tight curls. It's interesting how many black women don't understand the natural state of their hair. I also explained to her that everyone's has a growth threshold so no matter how long you grow it out, it will only grow so long. So that's my answer :o)

Rock your crown!

1 comment:

Isebiama said...

Hey 'Deronke, I must say, I admire ur "crown of glory" everytime I see u. :). I'm a hair freak hence my afro which is sadly gone now. Haven't seen u in a while now though. What do u have on now?